Regular readers of my “Four films” feature will recognize a slight change in style this month, I’m playing around with a few ideas and this is one of the things I wanted to change. I may not stick with it, I may change my mind again and try something else. Time will tell.
Anyway I usually pick four films each month that I feel deserve your attention, but this month I’m going with five as there seems to be so many good films out in April that I really couldn’t stick on just four.
So without any further ado, here are my five picks for April.
- The Place Beyond The Pines (12th April) stars Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper, and is directed by Derek Cianfrance. I’m sure The Place Beyond The Pines will draw a few comparisons to Drive which also starred Gosling as a getaway driver who gets into more trouble than he bargained for. I feel that TPBTP will have a slightly larger scale than Drive and will focus on multiple points of view throughout the movie and not just that of our main protagonist. Pines is already rocking a very solid 74% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with a general consensus of ” Ambitious to a fault, The Place Beyond the Pines finds writer/director Derek Cianfrance reaching for — and often grasping — thorny themes of family, fatherhood, and fate.”
- Oblivion (12th April) stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and is directed by Joseph Kosinski. I’ve been harping on about this movie to anyone who will listen since I saw the first trailer. I really do believe that Kosinski is one of the most visually talented directors out there right now. Say what you will about Tron: Legacy, I for one loved it, but you can’t deny how good that film looked. Oblivion not also looks good, it’s also an original piece of sci-fi, i.e. not based on a book, comic or TV show and will hopefully one of the surprise hits this year.
- Olympus Has Fallen (17th April) stars Gerard Butler and Aaron Eckhart and is directed by Antoine Fuqua. This is another movie I have been looking forward to for a while now. Yes, it looks like Die Hard in The White House and yes it looks like a guilty pleasure but my God it looks like fun.
- Evil Dead (18th April) stars Jane Levy and Shiloh Fernandez and is directed by Fede Alvarez. Many, many people moaned when the news came out that there was going to be a remake of the Evil Dead. Then the trailer came out, then the director practically gave every fanboy a blow job by saying there was no CGI in the movie either. Now after all that, there is a talk already of a sequel not only to the remake but also to Army Of Darkness and proposed seventh movie that will combine both sets of films into one epic payoff.
- Iron Man 3 (26th April) stars Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow and is directed by Shane Black. There really is no more that can be said about this movie, you are either going to see it or you’re not.