The Monday roundup is your handy little guide to everything movie related. Including the best of the weekend’s news, what’s new on DVD & Blu-Ray & what you can look forward to at the cinema this week.
- Axel Foley will return to our screens in 2016 in the next instalment of the Beverly Hills Cop franchise. Beverly Hills Cop 4 will be the first time we have seen the character on the big screen since 1994’s Beverly Hills Cop 3. There have been rumblings of taking the character to the small screen, which would have involved Foley’s son playing the lead role. Brett Ratner is apparently attached to direct, and star Eddie Murphy will return to the role which made him famous back in the 80’s. No word yet on who else may return or what the story line will consist of.
- The good Dr. himself, Matt Smith, has signed on to play a major part in the upcoming Terminator reboot, currently titled Terminator: Genesis. No word has yet been given on who Smith will be playing, although he apparently has a strong link to John Connor. Smith will join the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney in the movie which is set to be released in the UK on June 26, 2015.
- Any sequel to 2012’s Dredd is still a long way away from happening according to actor & producer Adi Shankar. Karl Urban recently claimed that discussions are taking place regarding a sequel, but Shankar has moved quickly to stop things being blown out of proportion. Shankar admits that conversations are indeed happening but that does not necessarily mean the film will be given the greenlight just yet. He also adds that foreign distributors all have to agree to a sequel before things can really begin to move forward.
- Director Fede Alvarez has given an update on the Evil Dead 2 film, which would serve as a direct sequel to 2013’s horror remake the Evil Dead. Alvarez has confirmed that ideas are being thrown around by different creative types, but for the moment the film is stuck in limbo until they come across a really good idea, and then they can finally think about moving forward with the next instalment in the franchise.
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 made its debut across the pond to a staggering $91.6 million to take top spot at the US box office, combine that with the international takings and the figures sit at well over $368 million. The Other Woman has been knocked down one spot to second after earning another $14.4 million. Heaven is for Real finished the weekend in third after earning $8.6 million, while Captain America: The Winter Soldier took another $7.74 million to finish fourth. Rio 2 rounded out the top five after it earned $7.71 million in its fourth week of release.
DVD/Blu-Ray Pick Of The Week
Quite possibly one of the worst weeks for home releases since I started doing this see’s the release of, well not much really. The biggest release from a geek’s point of view would have to be the latest DC animation, Son of Batman. Other than that, TV fans can now own Endeavour: Season 2, 30 Rock Season 7 and Rev Seasons 1-3. The only other notable release this week would be the Colin Firth drama, The Railway Man.
Video Of The Day
Now, while I am not necessarily the biggest fan Star Wars, I do enjoy them I just don’t love them, I have to admit that this 60 second trailer for the new cartoon Star Wars: Rebels really grabbed my attention. Check the video out below.