The Monday roundup is your handy little guide to everything movie related. Including the best of the weekend’s news, what’s new on DVD & Blu-Ray & what you can look forward to at the cinema this week.
- Producer Simon Kinberg has dropped some details to IGN on what we can expect in the next X-Men movie, titled X-Men: Apocalypse. We all know that an ages old mutant named Apocalypse will be the villain of the movie, but Kinberg has revealed that the movie will be a disaster movie set in the 80’s. The movie will take inspiration from the movies of Roland Emmerich, which I admit does not inspire much confidence, but I think Kinberg is making the point that we will see the X-Men work on a much wider scale this time, with the entire world under threat.
- After the news came that Edgar Wright had walked away from directing Marvel’s Ant-Man, then came the news that Drew Goddard has also walked away from a Marvel project. Goddard was due to serve as writer, producer and show runner for Marvel’s Daredevil TV show. Goddard has also been attached to The Amazing Spider-Man spin-off, The Sinister Six over at Sony. It is believed he could not commit to both, with Daredevil losing out. Spartacus show runner Steven S. DeKnight will now take over Goddard’s duties on Daredevil.
- Director Gareth Edwards is about to become a very busy man. While it was recently confirmed that he will direct a sequel to this years Godzilla, it has also been confirmed he will be taking the directors chair for the first of the Star Wars spin-off movies. Numerous characters have been mooted for the solo movie treatment, chief among them being Han Solo, Bobba Fett and Yoda. There was also talk of a seven samurai style movie featuring a team of Jedi, but as of yet nothing else has been confirmed.
- The upcoming Batman Vs Superman movie at Warner Bros. and DC finally has an official title. After months of speculation, we now know that the 2016 release will be titled Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice. This is an obvious hint that the DC cinematic universe will be expanding, introducing us to several new characters and setting us up for the all important Justice League movie, which is set for a release in the summer of 2018.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past finished the weekend at the top of the US box office, after earning $90.7 million in its opening weekend. Add that to its worldwide takings and it is already sitting pretty on $261.7 million. The X-Men’s dominance meant that Godzilla dropped down to second with $31.4 million taken in its second week of release. While the new Adam Sandler comedy Blended didn’t do very well at all and took in just $14.2 million. Bad Neighbours fell to fourth falling just shy of another $14 million, leaving The Amazing Spider-Man 2 to round out the top five with another $7.8 million in the bank.
This Week On DVD & Blu-Ray
This weeks home releases see Inside Llewyn Davies, August: Osage County and I, Frankenstein all find their way to the shops. While, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is being re-released in one of those shiny steelbook editions that are so popular right now.
Video Of The Day
I have no recollection of the original TV show starring Edward Woodward, but this new adaptation of The Equalizer starring Denzel Washington looks like it will be a hard as nails thriller. The IMDb has this synopsis for us; “A former black ops commando who faked his death for a quiet life in Boston comes out of his retirement to rescue a young girl and finds himself face to face with Russian gangsters.” The movie also stars Chloe Grace Moretz and is directed by Antoine Fuqua.